search  
 


Home

Who are we?

Why
register?


Signup for
registration


Online registration

Log in to register
your trial


Search a trial

NRT en CCMO

Contact

NEDERLANDS





MetaRegister
van CCT (UK)


ISRCTN-Register
van CCT (UK)


FIbroscan To detect LIVER fibrosis in patients with inflammatory bowel disease receiving long-term thiopurine therapy


- candidate number24435
- NTR NumberNTR5924
- ISRCTNISRCTN no longer applicable
- Date ISRCTN created
- date ISRCTN requested
- Date Registered NTR2-jun-2016
- Secondary IDs16/CEN/81 // 2016.316 Health and Disability Ethics Commitee in Nieuw-Zeeland// METC VU
- Public TitleFIbroscan To detect LIVER fibrosis in patients with inflammatory bowel disease receiving long-term thiopurine therapy
- Scientific TitleFIbroscan To detect LIVER fibrosis in patients with inflammatory bowel disease receiving long-term thiopurine therapy
- ACRONYMFIT-LIVER
- hypothesisInflammatory Bowel Disease patients using thiopurines are at higher risk of developing liver abnormalities than IBD patients without thiopurine exposure.
- Healt Condition(s) or Problem(s) studiedInflammatory bowel disease, Liver cirrhosis
- Inclusion criteriaAdult patients (>18 y/o)
Diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (i.e. Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis or IBD unclassified)
- Exclusion criteriaConcomitant known liver pathology (e.g. viral hepatitis, liver cancer, liver cirrhosis, liver fibrosis)
- mec approval receivedno
- multicenter trialyes
- randomisedno
- group[default]
- Type[default]
- Studytypeintervention
- planned startdate 1-sep-2016
- planned closingdate31-aug-2017
- Target number of participants0
- InterventionsFibroscan: Also called transient elastography, used to assess liver stiffness (measured in kPa) without invasive investigation.
- Primary outcomeLiver stiffness score (Metavir), F0-F4
- Secondary outcomeN/A
- Timepointst=0
- Trial web site
- statusplanned
- CONTACT FOR PUBLIC QUERIESMD, PhD-student B. Meijer
- CONTACT for SCIENTIFIC QUERIESMD, PhD-student B. Meijer
- Sponsor/Initiator VU University Medical Center
- Funding
(Source(s) of Monetary or Material Support)
None
- Publications
- Brief summaryInflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) comprises two chronic conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, namely Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. These diseases are characterized by episodes of remissions and relapses, causing significant decreases in quality of life and thus emphasizing the need of drugs maintaining remission. The first-step in maintaining remission is the administration of thiopurines (i.e. azathioprine and mercaptopurine). [Dignass, 2010; 2012] One of the concerns of this therapy is the alleged risk of associated liver pathology. [Dubinsky, 2003; Vernier-Massouille, 2007].

According to a database study in 2007, liver test (LT) abnormalities occur in up to 16% of IBD-patients, regardless of therapy or concomitant diagnoses. Interestingly, only 42% of these LT abnormalities could be linked to thiopurine use, leaving at least 58% of LT abnormalities caused by other reasons than thiopurine therapy. [Gisbert, 2007].

In other literature reports, thiopurine use is linked to various liver abnormalities, such as sinusoidal obstructive syndrome (SOS), nodular regenerative hyperplasia (NRH), liver cirrhosis, liver fibrosis or non-cirrhotic portal hypertension (NCPH). [Dubinsky, 2003; Vernier-Massouille, 2007; Suárez-Ferrer, 2015; Jharap, 2015]. These diagnoses were assessed primarily by liver biopsy, which is an invasive procedure.

Using a Fibroscan, fibrosis of the liver might be measured using a non-invasive procedure. In previous studies, fibroscan measurements seemed to correlate with results from liver biopsies in a large number of patients [Muñoz, 2009; Goyal, 2013].
- Main changes (audit trail)
- RECORD2-jun-2016 - 8-aug-2016


  • Indien u gegevens wilt toevoegen of veranderen, kunt u een mail sturen naar nederlands@trialregister.nl